Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 10

My next phase of training was the Classification Center. At Classification we all underwent very strenuous tests. For two long weeks he was taking physical examinations, mechanical aptitude tests, and psychomotor tests. Also not forgotten was drill and P.T. each day. At Classification, the pilots, navigators, and bombardiers were picked. Then I got the wish I long dreamed about. I was classified a cadet pilot.
From Classification I went to pre-flight training, as a pilot. Here there was more training in physics, and math; plus navigation, theory of flight, aircraft identification, gunnery, chemical warfare, code, and airplane mechanics. We learned what was meant by “hubba-hubba.” Physical training and drill was more on the rough side. Saturday night passes were shortened because of the Sunday afternoon parades. But the time always went fast, for every minute was occupied. A fifteen-minute break during the day was like a furlough to me. I successfully completed my classes at pre-flight, with an average of over eighty in all my classes.
Now came the real test, Primary. One half of the day was spent in the ground school, and the other half was spent flying. After nine hours and fifteen minutes of dual flying, Jerry told me that I was ready to take the plane up alone. This really put an empty feeling in my stomach. After Jerry got out of the front cockpit and laid his parachute on the ground, he jumped upon the wing of the plane and started giving me a complete list of the things to do and not to do while up there alone.
“I want you to go up and fly the pattern once, land, then taxi back here where I am waiting, so that I can give further instructions,” said Jerry. “Now remember,” he said, ”you are undertaking a large responsibility. I have a lot of confidence in you, so don’t let me down. If you make a bad approach and you are reluctant about landing, give ‘er the throttle and go around again until you gain confidence in yourself. You got the guts, and you got the ability, so prove it to me. Make sure the plane is airborne before pulling the nose up. Level off about fifty feet, then start climbing again. Keep your altitude, and above all keep your head out.” I was nervous and hot all over. After taxiing out to the taking-off point, I checked my mags and all the other controls and instruments. While waiting for the green light, I had a lonely, empty feeling. There was no voice in his ear now. Jerry was standing to the side watching. I perspired a little. The green light showed, and I pushed the throttle forward. I pushed the stick forward a little soon and that made me nervous; then I pulled it back and rose too sharply, but now I had collected myself. “Well it’s mine,” I said to myself, “only God can help me now.”
After I soloed, relations with my instructor were much better. We practiced 60 hours of flying, learning aerobatics, landing and take offs etc. Twenty Nine Palms was a good place to learn to fly, because it was so removed from the worldly influences. My first Christmas away from home was spent here.

No comments:

Post a Comment