Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 3

Myton used to be the largest town in the Uinta Basin. It had a service station, a baseball diamond, bank, post office, hotel, two grocery stores, a blacksmith shop, two churches (Presbyterian ansd Mormon) and a school. The school consisted of two buildings and was from 1st to 8th grade. The church doubled as the opera house where there was a weekly movie and occasional plays. Eventually it was burned to the ground. Myton was considered the financial center of the entire Ute indian reservation. The population was probably about 300-400 people and a lot more animals. All the roads were dirt and most sidewalks were boardwalks. Our farm was five miles from town. If we walked to school we would have to take off our shoes and wade through the Duschene River, but generally we would ride the school bus. Sometime we rode our horses to school. I remember trying to help a boy across the river and stay dry by holding onto the saddle. Unfortunately, in mid-stream the horse bucked and the boy was totally soaked.
Myton was in the middle of the Indian Reservation. I was always friendly with them. I used to ride horses with one of one of the indian girls. Many years later Charles and I dropped by to see if they remembered either of us. They seemed to remember me more favorably than Charles, probably because I spent more time with them. The indians typically had a fair bit of money that they received from the government and so they had candy that they would share with me. I also sold melons to them for 5-10c that we grew in the garden. I found the ‘buck’ indians far less friendly. In general the indians and white people kept apart because of different lifestyles.
Aunt Pearl was strict but very compassionate. Uncle Albert was easy going. He never got mad and always used to help us with our homework. He used to listen to me read and always said I was a good reader We had no religious experiences in our house. I only remember attending church 2 or 3 times during my childhood days. Uncle Albert had lost his testimony of the Gospel as a result of inactivity and being so far removed from a church house and to attend any Church functions. In his early years he taught school. He was well educated and spent a lot of time reading and writing. I remember one time when he tried to explain to me that it was scientifically impossible for a “Heaven” and a “hereafter” to exist. He was a generous person. I had great respect for him, although I could not accept all his beliefs, yet I had no beliefs of my own except curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment