Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 9

In November of 1943 we transferred to 29 Palms, California to begin our flight training. In addition to flight training we took additional academic courses, marching, drilling and calisthenics. Trying to solo was a very challenging experience for me. My instructor was hard to deal with; he kept me under constant pressure. I remember the day I soloed; what a thrill and satisfying experience. I had spent many long and painstaking hours learning to master the art of flying and now I was ready.
I remember sitting in the cockpit of the two-seater bi-plane waiting for my instructor, Jerry, to give his final orders before taking off for the first time alone. As I tensely waited, I got to thinking of the past. I murmured to myself, “What if I should fail now, after all that I have gone through. Now is my chance to prove to myself that all my training was not in vain.” Memories went back to first reaching the induction station.
At the induction station my initial training began. Here I got my first taste of Army life. After completing the physical and metal tests, and interviews, I was selected as an aviation student.
After six long weeks of learning to drill, taking in lectures and training films, learning what discipline meant, and getting into a physical condition that would permit me to take all the Army could dish out, I was sent to a college training detachment.

At C.T.D. we received a three-month course in history, geography, C.A.R (Civil Air Regulations), physics, mathematics, trigonometry, and hygiene. Besides the regular routine of class work each day, one hour was spent drilling, and one hour was spent doing P.T. (Physical Training). It was here that I got my first feel of an airplane..... ten hours of dual flying time in a light plane. This was to acquaint the cadet with the airplane and flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment