Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 13

I married Ruth Gilbert. We were married in the Salt Lake temple. The night before we got married we went to Lagoon amusement park and rode on all the rides. The next day in the temple Ruth tells me I was green. We had our honeymoon in the Newhouse Hotel because the Hotel Utah was full. The Newhouse has since been pulled down. We then went to a horse show at the fairgrounds. For the next year we lived in California with my sister Carrie and her husband. Ruth had 1 year of college remaining and I had 2 years left.
After we were married we lived in the Pre-Fabs part of the campus. In the winter it was extremely cold walking to and from the school.
I worked at various jobs, painting buildings, hauling manure, washing dishes, hauling hay, working in the pea factory in Franklin Idaho, keeping books for the hospital and Palmer and Sons Plumbing etc. Norman was born in January of 1949, so I now felt the responsibility as a father. Prior to the time Norman was born I bought a 1933 Chevrolet (named Lucy). It cost me $290 because they were hard to get at the time. It provided our transportation until I graduated.
In March of 1950 I completed my requirements for a B.S. degree in accounting with a minor in Commercial Law and economics.
At the same time I obtained my first full time job I was hired as a book keeper and auditor for Kelly Western Seld Co. in Salt Lake City. They manufactured the books and audit functions for several of the Farmers Co-ops throughout the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment