Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 2

I recall setting fire to my Father’s garage. There was no reason why I did this, other than I had some matches and no-one was around. I also remember playing with a neighbor boy. We climbed up many steps to the top of a tall water tower. I vaguely recall the boys mother arriving and we went out to the edge of the tower when some tragic event occurred. Later in my life I was told by my sister June, that this boy’s mother screamed when she saw us upon the structure. At that point the boy fell off and was killed. I recall going to work with my father who was a building contractor, and the box lunch he brought with us. I remember being treated to special gifts by Paul Holland (my half-sister, Helen’s, boyfriend.) I remember one occasion being left alone at night and I became very upset. When one of my sisters arrived I shut up.
When I was five years old, my father was involved in a car accident after which he had continuous ringing in his years and other medical problems that prevented him from working regularly. At that time the family broke up. Three sisters stayed in California, one sister went to Utah and I also went to Utah. He ended up living until 1947, although I only saw him three times after I left for Utah.
The above events are all that I remember prior to my coming to Utah, at age five, to live with my Aunt Pearl and Uncle Albert Edwards, who lived on a small farm in Myton, Utah. They had two children at home. Kate was fourteen and Charles was five years old. Charles and I were like brothers. We did all the things that brothers do; play, fight, work but all in all we were and always have been very close. He remained a significant part of my life and I have always regarded him as a brother. They raised chickens, turkeys, cows and horses. The sale of milk, cream, eggs and turkeys in the Fall provided grocery money for the home and school clothes. People would come buy the farm and buy the plucked turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment