Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 11

While at 29 Palms I first started to write to Ruth Gilbert who I later married and is still my wife. While at college I was friendly with Garn Gilbert, who had a sister named Ruth. I actually knew them both in grade school. They lived in Arcadia while I lived in Myton. I remembered her from Grade school, but Ruth says she never remembered me. I actually started writing to Garn and in one letter suggested that he ask Ruth if she would consider writing me a letter. She did, and that was the start of our relationship.
After finishing our primary flying at 29 Palms we were transferred to Marana, Arizona for our basic flying course. Our basic flying went very well for me. Marana was about 30 miles out of Tucson. We spent nearly every weekend in Tucson enjoying going on dates with girls from the LDS ward there.
On March 12, my 21st birthday, I was transferred to Williams Field in Phoenix, Arizona. On April 1st I received notice that Uncle Albert had passed away. He and my Aunt Pearl Edwards raised me since I was five years old and were parents to me. Against the concerns of my superiors at the base, I went home to the funeral and spent 2 weeks away from training. After my return I felt completely lost and very discouraged in my efforts to make up for the lost training time. Also, the motivations and excitement of graduating had completely left me. Although I had returned to my training, my heart and desire for flying totally left me. I requested that I be relieved of further flying. I was encouraged to continue my flying, but could not get the motivation.

I was subsequently transferred to Waco, Texas after intermediate stays in San Antonio and Amarillo, Texas and Denver, Colorado. I was assigned as a statistical clerk. Later, I requested ground duty resulting in my last assignment being at Bolling Field in Washington D.C. I worked in the Pentagon. My experience in Washington D.C. was good. I got to see many of the buildings and monuments of interest.
I was discharged from the service in December of 1945, from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. Upon arriving home it was quite an adjustment for me to make. I had no car to get around in until I bought a 1932 Chevrolet Coupe. I had to completely overhaul the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment