Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 5

As a child I enjoyed playing with toys, particularly cars and trucks. I used to spend many hours playing with toys, building roads etc.
I always wanted something I could ride. At first I wanted a tricycle and later I had a strong desire for a bike and a good riding horse. I remember when I first learned to ride a bike. I traded marbles to a boy for the opportunity to ride his bike. After 2 or 3 attempts I made it. The feeling was great. This experience greatly increased my desire for a bike although we never had the money to buy one. On one occasion we visited some friends of Aunt Pearl and Uncle Albert ( the Sorensons) I noticed they had a girls bike with flat tires that was not being used. We asked if we could buy it, but since we had no money they gave it to us. Not being able to afford new tires we stuffed the old ones with rags and wrapped baling wire around the tires and wheel. Charles and I used to take turns riding this bike by the hour.
When I was 12 years old I had the opportunity of buying a good riding horse from an indian girl for $15. Before I could get approval and the money she sold it to some friends. I was sure disappointed as it was very fast and a beautiful horse.
I spent many hours during my childhood days riding other horses. We never could afford a saddle so I always rode bareback. I became skilled at riding because the many hours I spent on a horse, mostly herding cows. I spent most of my time riding a clumsy “pot gutted” old mare that was at one time a wild horse… Many times while riding her she would stumble and fall. Each time I ended up bruised and very upset because of her clumsiness. One time she stepped in a prairie dog hole and fell. I was thrown to the ground and she rolled completely over me. I was desperately trying to by me breath for several minutes. I felt as though I wouldn’t make it.. She would always “kick up” if rode double or if we slid back towards her rear. One time she threw me off to the ground and I broke my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment