Friday, June 4, 2010

Life of Ed Murphy Part 7

During the summer of 1941 I had the opportunity of earning $7 helping a farmer harvest his corn. With this money I bought a Model A Ford. The seller wanted $15, but because he didn’t have a title to the car I paid him $7. I had great fun during that period of my life driving the car. The following year Charles and I bought a Model A Ford r Convertible with a Rumble seat for $22. We used parts from my first Ford to fix it up. We used this car when we went to College in the fall of 1942.
Starting college was very exciting and the best thing that happened to me to this point in my life. I couldn’t believe that I was free from the ties of the farm. I was very happy. However, as I reflect on those times before I left home, I am thankful for the love given and tough experiences I was given.
When I started college in December of 1942, I took the mental aptitude test that was required to join the Aviation Cadet Program. The test lasted 2 ½ hours. After I finished the test I was told I would have to take a physical that afternoon. I had previously had my back all taped up by the college Doctor because I had suffered quite a lot with back pain. After I was told about the physical I immediately went to our apartment and soaked myself in a tub of hot water to remove the tape from my back. After a short soaking I ripped the tape off which experience was a tear jerker. I passed the physical but couldn’t understand why they hadn’t noticed the tape marks. My eyes and height were on the borderline so I just barely passed. I was thrilled when I learned I had passed everything, including the extensive aptitude test.
I spent two quarters at college anxiously awaiting my call to active duty. College was fun. My application to studies wasn’t what it should be for I knew that I would soon be called into the service.
While at college, whatever extra cash we could accumulate we would spend going to a movie or playing pool. Many times I would be questioned about my age by the pool hall attendant because I was so short. Occasionally I would not be allowed to play. It would always upset me because I was older than some of the guys in the group who wouldn’t ever be questioned because they were taller and looked older than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment